Book early for the cheapest train fares
By purchasing an Advance ticket, you’re able to choose the best time to travel at the lowest available fare and, on almost all main line Intercity trains on the London to Norwich route, reserve yourself a seat.
Sign up to Advance Alerts
Advance tickets are available for booking around 3 months in advance of a travel. To be alerted when tickets are first on sale for a particular date, sign up for our alerts now.
Where are Advance tickets available?
Advance tickets are available on the following Abellio Greater Anglia routes:
- London and Stratford to and from Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich, Stowmarket, Diss and Norwich, also many intermediate journeys.
- London, Stratford and many other main line stations to and from our branch lines in Norfolk, Suffolk and north Essex, which have regular services which connect into and out of our Intercity trains.
- London and Stratford to and from Clacton-on-Sea and Walton-on-the-Naze and intermediate stations between Colchester and the coast.
- London and Tottenham Hale to and from Cambridge, and intermediate stations between Stansted Mountfitchet and Cambridge.
- London to and from Ely and King's Lynn (Abellio Greater Anglia through trains - these run on weekdays at peak times only).
Advance tickets are also available on many through journeys to other parts of Great Britain from Abellio Greater Anglia stations both via London and via Peterborough. Availability of Advance tickets on other Train Companies is set by the companies concerned, so we cannot control availability on through journeys.
Plan ahead for a great value summer day out
Why travel with Advance tickets?
- Tickets are priced as single leg fares so you can choose the lowest available price for each leg of your journey (out and back)
- You book to travel at your specified time
- It’s cost effective with fares starting at £9 single between London and Norwich and £6 single between London and Cambridge (depending on availability and time of travel)
- Railcard and Child discounts apply to all Advance fares (see Railcard Discounts below for details on which Railcards are valid)
- You can check out our First Class Advance fares - they are often cheaper than you might expect
- Get the best deal, book well in advance and travel at off-peak times
- For most services on the London to Norwich main line, a free seat reservation is included.
Check details and book early as Advance tickets are subject to limited availability and may not be available on every train.
Advance tickets are normally released 12 weeks before the departure date of the train.
You must travel on your booked service or the ticket will not be valid.
Changes to Advance tickets are possible before the departure of the first reserved train. An administration fee is payable.
It’s possible to buy additional tickets for your onward travel. For travel around London, simply buy a One Day Travelcard or use an Oyster Card. Off-Peak One Day Travelcards are now only available for Zones 1-6. Using Pay as you go on Oyster is cheaper than a Travelcard (a returnable deposit of £5 is payable for a new Oyster Card). For full details please see the TfL website.
For onward travel in hundreds of other towns and cities, with PlusBus you can add unlimited bus travel for the entire urban area of the town you are travelling to. You can also buy a PlusBus ticket for the town where you are starting your journey. See the PlusBus website for details.
16-25, Family & Friends, Senior, Two Together, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders can save 1/3 on all Standard Class Advance tickets.
In addition, 16-25, Senior, Two Together, HM Forces and Disabled Persons Railcard holders also save 1/3 on all First Class Advance fares.
How to buy your Advance ticket
Simply enter your journey details into the ‘buy train tickets’ search engine to find the cheapest Advance fares available.
You can receive your tickets by First Class post (please allow 5 working days for delivery) or collect your pre-paid tickets from ticket vending machines (TVMs) at participating stations.
Greater Anglia Advance tickets are also available as Print Your Own and Mobile tickets, so you don't need to wait for them to be posted or have to collect them at stations!
To ensure you are getting the best ticket, see our tips for getting the best deals on Advance tickets. This section also explains how to search for tickets at weekends if there is engineering work, when sometimes trains offering Advance tickets are not shown in the initial search results.
Over the phone
Booking tickets over the phone couldn’t be easier. Simply call the Abellio Greater Anglia Contact Centre on 0345 600 7245.
Via our app
You can now book tickets on one of our apps. Some routes where Advance tickets are available, will also allow your ticket to be sent to your phone. Download our app.
If you’re having any trouble booking tickets visit our contact us page for further details on how to get in touch - our trained staff will always find the best ticket for you.
Please see Advance purchase terms and conditions.